Any idea why Sharity-Light is at least 3X faster than smbfs

knowtree at aloha.com knowtree at aloha.com
Wed Oct 6 18:08:47 PDT 2004

> Doug Lee wrote:
>
> >I'm running FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE on a P166 and trying to copy very
..

> >dc0: <ADMtek AN985 10/100BaseTX> port 0xfc00-0xfcff mem
0xffbefc00-0xffbeffff irq 10 at
device 20.0 on pci0
> >miibus0: <MII bus> on dc0
> >ukphy0: <Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface> on miibus0
> >ukphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

On my LAN the FreeBSD boxes do not always negotiate 100baseTX nicely with
the Foundry switch, resulting in mismatch between simplex and duplex. This
results in vey slow traffic, but high packet fragmentation numbers. You
might check that. I have set the Foundry to force those ports to 100 full.

Have you tried smbclient? For this application, why is smbfs better?

Gary Dunn
Honolulu