What version of FBSD does Yahoo run?

Jonathan T. Sage sagejona at theatre.msu.edu
Wed Oct 6 13:54:49 PDT 2004

>>>Considering that its been well documented and admitted that 5.x is 1/3 the
>>>speed of 4.x at this point,  do you really think they've migrated production
>>>boxes?
>>

>>Most likely this is in reference to a few lines in /usr/src/UPDATING,
>>stating that all of the debug features are turned on by default in 5.x <
>>5.3, making it much slower.  This is less than true if those options are
>>turned off.
 >
> What are those options and how do you turn them on/off?

Some of these options are :

makeoptions            DEBUG=-g
options                WITNESS
options                KDB
options                DDB
options                GDB
options                INVARIANTS
options                INVARIANT_SUPPORT

They can be turned off by commenting them or removing them from a custom
kernel config, rebuilding and installing that kernel.  Details on how to
do this are in the handbook.  Note that as of 5.3, these have been
turned off by default.

~j

--
Jonathan T. Sage
Theatrical Lighting / Set Designer

"He said he likes me, but he's not in-like with me."- Connie, King of
the Hill

[HTTP://www.JTSage.com]
[HTTP://design.JTSage.com]
[sagejona at msu.edu]