Should I rebuild all ports?

Choy Kho Yee khoyee at tf7.so-net.ne.jp
Wed Oct 6 08:52:28 PDT 2004

On 2004/10/07, at 0:22, Renato Botelho wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 23:57:19 +0900, Choy Kho Yee
> <khoyee at tf7.so-net.ne.jp> wrote:
>> I have just upgraded FreeBSD 5.3BETA6 to BETA7.
>> According to /usr/src/UPDATING, some of the system
>> libraries have been upgraded, and we should rebuild
>> all ports if we want to use the new libraries. So,
>>
>>   1. should I rebuild all ports? (I think it should take one
>>       whole day...)
>>   2. If I am to rebuild all ports, what is the command I
>>       should use?
>
> Take a look at this message
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-current/2004-October/
> 039354.html
>
> There is a script made by Benjamin Lutz that checks all ports need to
> be rebuilded, so, you need to rebuild all these packages using
> portupgrade -f packagename, or use the /etc/libmap.conf.

Thanks for pointing me to the script!! I have saved the script to my
computer,
run it and it said that there are 60 packages that I should upgrade. I
will upgrade
them slowly when I have the spare time.

However, I still don't get how /etc/libmap.conf can be used to work
around
this problem without rebuilding the ports.

Thanks.

---
Choy Kho Yee
url: http://dotkoyi.infoseek.ne.jp/
blog: http://dotkoyi.blogspot.com/

"There are only 10 types of people in the world, i.e. those who
understand binary numbers and those who do not."