Should I rebuild all ports?

Choy Kho Yee khoyee at tf7.so-net.ne.jp
Wed Oct 6 08:46:17 PDT 2004

On 2004/10/07, at 0:11, Alex de Kruijff wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 11:57:19PM +0900, Choy Kho Yee wrote:
>> I have just upgraded FreeBSD 5.3BETA6 to BETA7.
>> According to /usr/src/UPDATING, some of the system
>> libraries have been upgraded, and we should rebuild
>> all ports if we want to use the new libraries. So,
>>
>>  1. should I rebuild all ports? (I think it should take one
>>      whole day...)
>
> I don't know. Does the apps work?

Yes, I think they do work. According to my understanding,
the apps compiled before the updates are using the old
libraries, and the apps compiled after the update should utilize
the new libraries. As long as I don't remove the old libraries,
all apps should work fine. I was just curious to know whether
I should recompile all apps so that they may work better by
using the new libraries. Or will they? :)

---
Choy Kho Yee
url: http://dotkoyi.infoseek.ne.jp/
blog: http://dotkoyi.blogspot.com/

"There are only 10 types of people in the world, i.e. those who
understand binary numbers and those who do not."