Why does ssh require a password on new machine?

stan stanb at panix.com
Wed Oct 6 06:02:20 PDT 2004

I jst installed a new FreeBSD STABLE box, and it seems to insist on a
password when I ssh from an existing machine. I've added the (I think)
appropriate entry to the ~/s.ssh/known_hosts fiel on the new machine.

Here is ssh -v on a mcahine that works:

Script started on Wed Oct  6 08:44:45 2004
stan at pmail:~$ ssh cogenal
Last login: Wed Oct  6 08:44:13 2004 from pmail.meadwestv
Copyright (c) 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994
	The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE (ALARMS) #2: Fri Jul 30 13:51:03 EDT 2004

Welcome to FreeBSD!

Before seeking technical support, please use the following resources:

o  Security advisories and updated errata information for all releases are
   at http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/ - always consult the ERRATA section
   for your release first as it's updated frequently.

o  The Handbook and FAQ documents are at http://www.FreeBSD.org/ and,
   along with the mailing lists, can be searched by going to
   http://www.FreeBSD.org/search/.  If the doc distribution has
   been installed, they're also available formatted in /usr/share/doc.

If you still have a question or problem, please take the output of
`uname -a', along with any relevant error messages, and email it
as a question to the questions at FreeBSD.org mailing list.  If you are
unfamiliar with FreeBSD's directory layout, please refer to the hier(7)
man page.  If you are not familiar with man pages, type `man man'.

You may also use /stand/sysinstall to re-enter the installation and
configuration utility.  Edit /etc/motd to change this login announcement.

ports/net/netcat port is useful not only for redirecting input/output
to TCP or UDP connections, but also for proxying them. See inetd(8) for
details.
$ ^DConnection to cogenal closed.
stan at pmail:~$
Script done on Wed Oct  6 08:44:55 2004

And here it is on the new machine:

Script started on Wed Oct  6 08:45:29 2004
stan at pmail:~$ ssh kilnal
Password:

stan at pmail:~$
Script done on Wed Oct  6 08:45:39 2004