Cp -Rp Nightmare unable to access /usr

Brian Brian at bossbox.com
Wed Oct 6 00:35:19 PDT 2004

Hi,

I'm running a FreeBSD 5.2.1 test box at home for Apache,PHP,MySQL.

I wanted to move the default mysql dabatse location from /var/db/mysql to
/usr/mysql

What I did was cp -Rp /var/db/mysql  /usr

I know now it was wrong for the most part I know how stupid this idea was.

I now can't ssh to the box I get the error below

Could not chdir to home directory /home/reports: Permission denied
/usr/local/bin/bash: Permission denied

What I'm looking to know is, what exactly have I done to /usr and if I'm at
the console can I easiliy reverse what I did ?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

---