Spinlock problem in 5.3-Beta

Andrew Moran amoran at forsythia.net
Tue Oct 5 22:23:00 PDT 2004

I got this same problem when I upgraded to 5.3-Beta, but for me it was
with gnucash, not xmms.  (I don't use XMMS, so I don't know if that
port would break for me as well).

I searched the archives and it seems the problem comes from a program
using one threading system (pthreads) but having a dependancy compiled
against the other system ((libc_r).    The solution is either to 1)
recompile all your ports to use the same threading system, or 2) map
all calls to one system to another using /etc/libmap.conf.

However, I tried *both* of these and neither work.     I've used ldd on
everything under /usr/local and nothing is linked to libc_r (although
many are linked to pthread).      I've tried recompiling all the
requirements of gnucash using portupgrade -fR.      I've also tried
mapping the libc_r calls to pthread calls using an /etc/libmap.conf
file:
[root at celebrian] /# cat /etc/libmap.conf
libc_r.so.5             libpthread.so.1 # Everything that uses 'libc_r'
libc_r.so               libpthread.so   # now uses 'libpthread'

Yet I'm still getting the error.  I can only assume that something is
broken in 5.3-BETA regarding pthreads  unless someone has any other
insight.    I'm hitting my head against a wall.  beh.

--Andy