Why is data linked to data-dist

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Tue Oct 5 12:13:26 PDT 2004

l0rd at xs4all.nl wrote:
> At 20:47 5-10-2004, you wrote:
>
> LB <l0rd at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I have a general question that I hope someone can help me with. I was
> > wondering why the powers that be have chosen to link /usr/local/www/data
> > to /usr/local/www/data-dist instead of just creating
> > /usr/local/www/data-dist directly. Can anybody help me with the idea behind
> > this ?
>
> Sorry about the double post. I resent wrong email. My bad....
>
> But what I was supposed to post:
>
> Sounds like a good idea. So deleting the symlink and creating a real data
> directory would mean I have to physically copy any new version of web apps
> installed by ports if they're upgraded by portupgrade ?

Not if they're well done ports.

Most web apps, when installed from the ports, do not install in that data
directory.  Instead, they are installed in /usr/local/www/<webapp-name>,
and the necessary configurations are put in place to make them accessible.
(usually Apache-based symlinks ... I forget what the directive in Apache
is called).

Anyway, this protects the data you generate in the same way.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies