Multifunction printer/scanner/copier recommendation needed

Peter Giessel pgiessel at mac.com
Tue Oct 5 08:32:59 PDT 2004

On Tuesday, October 05, 2004, at 00:51AM, ALeine <aleine at austrosearch.net> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm shopping for a new printer and I want to get a multifunction
>printer/scanner/copier that is proven to work well under FreeBSD
>for both printing and scanning.
>
>The Canon MP360 looks like a good choice for my needs in terms of
>quality and price range, so if you have any experience using this
>or some other device along those lines under FreeBSD please let me
>know, any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

We just got an Canon imageRUNNER C3200 at work and have been
severely disappointed by the color print speed.  On average,
it takes about two minutes to process each page.  Our old
Xerox Phaser 860N is much faster.

On the other hand, it does have CUPS support and can scan
to an ftp server (FreeBSD 5.2.1 here), and the scans
(scan to PDF) are clear and compact.

However, we mainly got it to do black and white copying and
color printing, so the abysmal color print processing speed
is problematic at best.