Firefox and amule GUI problems in KDE 3.3? GTK?

Travis Troyer tm_troyer at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 4 23:41:34 PDT 2004

I am running FreeBSD 5.2.1.  I installed it about a week ago, and installed
X.org 6.7.0 with KDE 3.3 from the most recent cvs versions at the time.  The
same was done for GTK (2.4.9), Firefox (0.9.3), aMule (1.2.8), and Gaim
(0.82.1).  Firefox and aMule both seem to have major problems with GUI
interaction, while Gaim does not, so I'm not sure if it's a GTK problems
specifically.  Firefox will sometimes hang slightly, not allowing my to type
into textboxes, such as the URL box, or in forms.  It usually hangs for
about 1-2 seconds, then allows interaction again.  Often I can type, but
text doesn't show up for 1-2 seconds as well.  aMule performs similarly,
though a bit more extreme.  Restoring the window from minimization causes it
to appear blank for 3-5 seconds, then appear.  Sometimes at this point I can
interact with the window immediately, though typically I then experience a
delay in clicking buttons, moving sliding, resizing listviews, etc.  The
delay will be in effect for any given amount of time, then it will suddenly
work fine again.

At this point I have no clue how to fix this problem.  I have yet to
experience it in any other applications, though previous to installing
FreeBSD this most recent time, I had installed it about 2 weeks prior (I had
to reinstall due to some problems I encountered), and experienced the same
problem.  I would appreciate help that anybody would have to offer.

Thanks,

Travis Troyer