C compiler

Kenneth Culver culverk at sweetdreamsracing.biz
Mon Oct 4 12:38:40 PDT 2004

Quoting Josh Hansen <lists at josh.aros.net>:

> Bill Moran wrote:
>
>> regi at inf.ufrgs.br wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I´ve installed FreeBSD 5.2.1 in my PC machine. I compiled my own
>>> programs and started to running them. For my surprise, I checked that
>>> FreeBSD programs spent almost 50% more time than the same program compiled
>>> to linux. I checked several compile options, but it did not have
>>> good results.
>>>

>> 5.2.1 is not a strong performer.  It's ALPHA code.
>>
>> If you want to do performance testing, either use 4.10, or work with the
>> 5.3 BETAs.  5.2.1 isn't supposed to be fast yet.
>>

> I really don't think the problem is that simple.  How about either
> giving him a real answer or none at all?

But the problem IS that simple. 5.2.1 wasn't meant to be fast, however in 5.3,
developers have worked hard to make several performance improvements, and it
shows. I'd say his answer hits the nail right on the head.

Don't use a version that is known to be slow and for developers only if
you want
speed and stability.

Ken