C compiler

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Mon Oct 4 12:38:00 PDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 01:18:48PM -0600, Josh Hansen wrote:
> Bill Moran wrote:
>
> >regi at inf.ufrgs.br wrote:
> >

> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>I?ve installed FreeBSD 5.2.1 in my PC machine. I compiled my own
> >>programs and started to running them. For my surprise, I checked that
> >>FreeBSD programs spent almost 50% more time than the same program compiled
> >>to linux. I checked several compile options, but it did not have good
> >>results.
> >>

> >5.2.1 is not a strong performer.  It's ALPHA code.
> >
> >If you want to do performance testing, either use 4.10, or work with the
> >5.3 BETAs.  5.2.1 isn't supposed to be fast yet.
> >

> I really don't think the problem is that simple.  How about either
> giving him a real answer or none at all?

It's hard to give a good answer to a bad question :)

In order to accurately diagnose the problem we need a way to repeat
it, or at least a full description of what was tried (including source
code and details of the benchmark measurements).  Otherwise, all we
can do is guess what might be going on.

Kris