When Unix Stops Being Fun

MikeM zlists at mgm51.com
Sun Oct 3 06:52:37 PDT 2004

On 10/2/2004 at 10:50 PM Dave Vollenweider wrote:

| I came across this page:
|  http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2001/8/13/131727/462 and
| I'm overwhelmed by the sheer amount of knowledge I'd have to gain.

That page is ridiculous.  You do not need to know all those items.  You may
not even need to know a third of them.   What you do need is a basic
knowledge of how *nix works, common troubleshooting skills,  a curiosity to
learn, and an ability to learn.

When I hire people to work in my engineering department, I do not have a
checklist of skills needed, I am more interested in a person's base
knowledge, curiosity, and ability to learn.