apache - how to redirect page not found

Chris Howells howells at kde.org
Sun Oct 3 05:09:56 PDT 2004

On Sunday 03 October 2004 00:10, David Banning wrote:
> I notice on some web sites when you try to load a page that does not
> exist, it directs the users browser to another page. How do I set
> that up in apache?

If you have PHP installed, you can use the following PHP code:

<?php
 header("Location: http://www.newurl.com");
?>

Of course this has the beauty that you can set up a PHP script as a 404
handler, and if you know the old location of a page, then it is very trivial
to automatically re-direct to this new location (since you know the path that
was requested).

We use something like this on the KDE web site:

http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/www/media/includes/classes/class_handler404.inc?rev=1.4

e.g.

<?php
include("handler.inc");
$handler = new Handler404();
$handler->add("/anoncvs.html","http://developer.kde.org/source/anoncvs.html");
$handler->add("/family.html","/family/");
?>

where the 1st parameter to add() is the requested original URL, and the 2nd
parameter is the URL to redirect to.

Cheers, Chris Howells -- chris at chrishowells.co.uk, howells at kde.org
Web: http://chrishowells.co.uk, PGP ID: 0x33795A2C
KDE/Qt/C++/PHP Developer: http://www.kde.org