When Unix Stops Being Fun

Glenn Sieb ges at wingfoot.org
Sun Oct 3 03:56:47 PDT 2004

bsdfsse said the following on 10/3/2004 3:12 AM:

> Ironically, I'm switching to FreeBSD because I'm already tired.  My
> bones are aching from years of abuse.  I'm tired of..

<MuchSnippage>

Hear Hear!!

> ..of Linux distributions with fatal flaws.  I went on a giant search
> to pick the perfect Linux distro, and I ended up selecting FreeBSD.
> Every single distro had some aspect I didn't like.

I started with FreeBSD in the Fall of 2000, when I started at Lumeta. I
loved it so much that when I built my personal server, I used it (and
Wing's now running on 4.10-STABLE, and when 5.3 is out of BETA I'll most
likely upgrade it...). I had played with RedHat (3 or 4.. I still have
the CDs somewhere!), I had used Unix System V (on a Unix PC (AT&T PC
7300) no less!) in the early 90's, but had ended up working with Windows
mostly at my jobs, and thus, at home. Every time there was a new version
of Windows, there were new idiosyncracies and more bullshit to cram into
my head. When I started at Lumeta, I found those old Unix skills
creeping back out of my memory--and they STILL WORKED! *gasp* ;)

Things that attracted me to FBSD:

1) The ease of the Ports collection. No messy rpm commands to have to
memorize or read man pages on--just cd /usr/ports/tree/package && make
install clean  -- Wow. How much easier can it get? Oh I know... when you
don't want the port anymore? cd /usr/ports/tree/package && make deinstall ;)

2) The support in the community--I've never lacked at being able to find
help. Granted, this is more Unix-oriented than FBSD-oriented.. But I
have to admit that the mailing lists have been a *HUGE* help when I've
needed it.

3) Finding that O'Reilly hosted articles about *BSD (Like Dru Lavigne's
many articles discussing the ports tree and other nifty things in
FreeBSD, and how to maintain & keep them in tip-top shape)!

4) Finding that I could actually *run* more than, say, 2 or 3 services
on a particular server! (The first FBSD server I helped configure at
Lumeta served as our: general development, Samba-shared, user home,
network print server, DNS, DHCP, Apache, RT, email server--I was amazed
you could run all that on one box without it crashing daily, like
Windows would at the time!)

5) The ease with which I was able to take an existing port
(misc/instant-workstation) and make a Lumeta package which would run
over the course of a weekend, hands-free, and build a developer's
workstation to our specs! For free! I didn't need to learn any weird
packaging script language (read: InstallShield), nor did I have to worry
incessantly about "how many licenses do we have left for ..." like I had
to with our Windows boxen.

(There are others, of course, but these are what come to mind
immediately...)

> ..of proprietary formats.  All the emails I lost over the years that
> were in some kind of Outlook format that at the time I was either too
> lazy or too ignorant, to make a back up of.

Yeah--early on I switched from Outcrack to Eudora, which, though better,
still wasn't perfect--but at least it was in a Unix-like format! :)

> My point is, the knowledge you gain about UNIX is your's forever.  The
> freedom is forever.  The control is forever.
>
> If want to be a sysadmin, you don't have to be master of everything.
> You just need to be on the path - and you are.

It's not all about what you have memorized. It's knowing where to look
for the information. I have *no* qualms telling people in interviews,
when they ask me a question I don't know the answer to off the top of my
head, that I could easily find that information via man <command> or a
Google search. In general, I have found that if the person interviewing
you Has Clueage, that's better to them than someone sitting there
scratching their head going "Um.. let me think... um... " for a few
minutes.

Myself, I am preparing to migrate my home PC from WinXP to FreeBSD 5.x
soon. Mostly because I'm sick of the stupid driver conflicts,
spontaneous reboots where M$ blames my NVidia drivers, and software that
ceases to work because of SP2 (my screensavers, no less. And--do they
cease to work gracefully? Noooooo--that'd be too polite--it just locks
the PC with a black screen and a mouse pointer which is the only thing
that responds to anything, forcing a reboot. Nice eh?). I'm already
using Firefox, Thunderbird, and OO.o, so the switch shouldn't be too bad :)

Best,
Glenn

          ~Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759