Is there a way to clean up the ports database without a lot of manual intervention?

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Sat Oct 2 11:49:12 PDT 2004

I have reason to believe I've made some mistakes trying to run pkgdb
-F to clean up a couple ports trees on different FreeBSD systems I
run.  I confess I've never fully understood how to answer some of the
prompts during that process.  Also though, my ports tree was formed
before portupgrade/portinstall were available, so I have some ports
that were installed via a simple "make install," some by
portinstall/portupgrade, some I installed first with "make install"
and then tried to upgrade with portupgrade, etc.

Is there a process I can run that will make the database consistent
again so I can install/upgrade ports without error?  I don't care if
it takes two days to run. :-)  I also know I may be asking the
impossible here, but I figure it doesn't hurt to try.

Please email responses directly to me so they don't get lost in
traffic.

--
Doug Lee           dgl at dlee.org        http://www.dlee.org
Bartimaeus Group   doug at bartsite.com   http://www.bartsite.com