I'm a 'tard - I don't know what a Subject line is (Was well, no subject)

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Fri Oct 1 12:42:45 PDT 2004

On Oct 1, 2004, at 3:24 PM, Bill Moran wrote:

> Chris <racerx at makeworld.com> wrote:
>
>> Nicx wrote:
>>>    Hello Guy's!
>>>
>>>    Is there any emulator that i  can run win32 apllications on
>>> freeBSD?
>>>    ... Nicx
>>>    ---- www.ebox.gr - Dwrea'n E-mail µe 15MB mailbox
>>> www.hyperhosting.gr
>>>    Apokty%ste to diko' sa*s web site µe dw%ro to domain name!
>>
>> I would be sooo much nicer it 'tards would learn to use the subject
>> line
>
> Those kind of comments are not welcome on this list.

Maybe he was having a bad day and took one too many irritations like
that to heart; I sometimes don't bother replying to top posters anymore
in my emails or to lists just because it's irritating to me to keep
going through jumbled headers and sorting crap out to get an actual
idea of what is going on in an email.  Eventually I just pop it into
the bit bucket...if it's important, they'll email again with hopefully
a new email that's clean and free of crap.

Same with people that use reply-to to post their new message
topics...so it gets threaded under a different subject that has NOTHING
to do with the actual topic at hand.  So they screw up the threading.

AAARGH

then again, I break the 72-character wrapping.  Other people are really
miffed at that in this list.  I wish someone would fix the Unix mailers
to see this properly, because I'm using Mail.app and it's stupid after
being drilled so often not to hit "enter" periodically for word
processing.  Mail.app does put in wrapping, but it's using a type of
word wrapping that is configurable...something from qualcomm, I want to
say?...where messages would be dynamically wrapped to be more readable
on variable display sizes.  Something about messages showing up
properly in email editors on PCs to small displays like those on PDA's
and cellphones.  If the mailer interprets this properly, every
quotation is properly indented regardless of the size of the window.
So I irritate people in that regard.

When everyone who emails me stops top posting and screwing up the
threading or doing anything else to irritate my wonderful online
experience, I'll manually wrap lines at 72 characters.

Anyway, yeah, it was wrong to be so harsh...but maybe he had *some*
justification in mind at the time.

> If you want to be rude to people, please don't associate yourself with
> FreeBSD when you do it.

Yeah...take it to an advocacy forum! :-)

> As to the OP's question, look at wine (http://www.winehq.com) ...
> although
> I've never had much success with it, that's what it's supposed to do.

Try using vmware, or QEMU.  Or Plex86, or whatever they're calling that
project now.  VM's tended to work much better for running Windows
software than WINE has worked for me, but that's just my experience.