broken fs dump file

ict technician ict at cardinalnewman.coventry.sch.uk
Fri Oct 1 08:57:49 PDT 2004

On Friday 01 October 2004 12:49, Malcolm Kay wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 07:08 pm, ict technician wrote:

> > > A question rather than an answer:----
> > >   Is it valid to dump a ufs file system and try to restore it to a ufs2
> > >   system?
> > >
> > > Malcolm
> >
> > wrt dump:
> > 	on 5.x dump has to understand ufs2. However, you might choose to use ufs;
> > so it has to deal with that. Since dump does both, restore must do both.
> > QED :)
> >

> I agree with the argument that dump must be able to dump a ufs fs
> that restore can restore to a ufs fs, and that dump must be able to dump a
> ufs2 fs that restore can restore to a ufs2 fs.
>
> But to dump a ufs fs and restore it to a ufs2 fs is not the same thing,
> nor is it the 'normal' application for dump/restore.

Normal use is dump newfs restore. newfs now defaults to ufs2, so the default
behavior (on 5.x) is to convert from ufs to ufs2. RTFM and note the absence
of supporting evidence in any of the BUGS sections. I see no CAVEATS.

man 8 dump
man 8 restore
man 8 newfs

> Maybe this is quite a valid thing to do; I'd like to see an 'official'
> statement to that effect -- I find your argument in relation to this
> situation unconvincing. Sorry about that.
>
> But you seem to be convinced by your investigation that the problem is
> elsewhere so at least tentitively I will accept that it is valid thing to do
> even though I dismiss your argument.

My problem is not that it doesn't restore. restore is quite happy to write out
150,000 files. What it doesn't do is to recover from 3 faults in the file,
leaving 100,000 files unrestored.

If these files were in some way "magic" (/dev ?) you might have a point, but
they are MS word documents.

--
i j hart

ICT Technician
Cardinal Newman Catholic School & Community College