I can not install FreeBSD 5.3 in an old Pentium 100 MHz

Ramiro Aceves ea1abz at wanadoo.es
Tue Nov 30 03:21:05 PST 2004

Ramiro Aceves wrote:

Hello I have been investigating (I have read all freebsd manuals and
search on the internet) and my old pentium machine has got the bad CMD
640 disk controller. FreeBSD 5.3 says that it does NOT support it. I
think that they have removed support for it in the 5.x versions. I do
not know why I can not even see the kernel boot, I think it should work
until it mounts the first filesystem.

FreeBSD 4.10 boot floppies go ok and reach the sysinstall screen.

FreeBSD 5.2.1 floppies boot, kernel boots but hangs when mounting the
filesystems.

FreeBSD 5.3 does not boot the kernel at all and suddenly reboots before
I see any kernel messages.

It seems that it is good time to throw away this old machine.... :-(

I will download the full 4.10 installation CDROM and we will see if I
can install the full system. I have been reading too much FreeBSD
manuals in the last 4 days and I am getting mad  :-/

Anyway, It works very well in my AMD 1.2GHz Athlon and I am happy with
FreeBSD. It comes with very clear documentation and you can get it work
quickly, if you came from the Debian Linux world.

PS: I am surprised that only one person answered my email. Did I ask my
question in the wrong mailing-list? If so, please tell me where I should
post it.

Thank you.
Ramiro.