Using gdm at boot

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Mon Nov 29 14:48:04 PST 2004

I've got FreeBSD 5.3 setup on my desktop and wanted to use gdm to login.
Per instructions I found at marcuscom.com:

Do _NOT_ use /etc/ttys to start gdm at boot time.  This will result in
gdm hanging or restarting constantly.  Instead, copy the included
gdm.sh.sample script to gdm.sh, and restart.  This script is found
in /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d.

Silly question, but I'm not sure I understand where to copy this file
to.  Same directory (/usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d)?  Does doing this alone enable
gdm without any changes to /etc.ttys?  I have only a text login now, no
xdm/kdm/gdm at all, but want to have gdm enabled with sessions available
for gnome, kde, icewm, and xfce4.

Thanks for any clarification.