Multiple NICs

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Mon Nov 29 14:38:26 PST 2004

--On Monday, November 29, 2004 10:29:45 PM +0100 Yannack
<yannick_bre at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> None of the above work  (ie: they both make the default route go through
> an0 - wifi - and i suspect this is because the wifi dhcp is slower to
> answer than the ethernet one),

I suspect you are right.

Per the dhclient-script(8) man page:

If more than one interface is being used, there's  no  obvious  way  to
avoid  clashes  between  server-supplied configuration parameters - for
example, the stock dhclient-script rewrites /etc/resolv.conf.   If more
than  one  interface  is  being  configured,  /etc/resolv.conf  will be
repeatedly initialized to the values provided by one server,  and  then the
other.    Assuming  the  information  provided  by both servers is valid,
this shouldn't cause any real problems, but it could be  confusing.

I haven't tried this, so I don't know if it will work, but you might try
adding the "metric" keyword to your /etc/rc.conf file.

"metric n  Set the routing metric of the interface to n, default 0.  The
routing metric is used by the routing protocol (routed(8)).  Higher metrics
have the effect of making a route less favorable; metrics are counted as
addition hops to the destination network or host."

If you set the metric higher for the wireless interface, that *should* make
the ethernet interface the preferred route *if* it's up.

BTW, I don't see any "DHCP" keyword in man ifconfig(8).  I'm not sure that
entry will do anything in your /etc/rc.conf file.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member