Multiple NICs

Yannack yannick_bre at yahoo.fr
Mon Nov 29 13:30:12 PST 2004

Hello,
I have just recently installed FreeBSD release 5.3. I am loving it but
have a network question.

I have two network cards, one for ethernet, one for wifi. I would like
to have them both setup to be on DHCP configuration. Now the problem is
that whatever order i put the setting in rc.conf, i always end up with
the wifi gateway as my default route. I would like it to be the ethernet
gateway when available, and only if not available the wifi (as my wifi
gateway is kind of restrictive). Shortly made: to give the hardwire
connection priority.
This is what i tried setting in rc.conf:
ifconfig_an0="DHCP"
ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"
and
ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"
ifconfig_an0="DHCP"

None of the above work  (ie: they both make the default route go through
an0 - wifi - and i suspect this is because the wifi dhcp is slower to
answer than the ethernet one), so i ended up commenting out the wifi
line (an0) and activating it by hand when needed... However this is
quite troublesome as it means killing the dhclient running, before
running another dhclient an0... If anybody has a better suggestion for
me I would be quite grateful!
Thanks!!!
Yannack