NVidia driver not using AGP?

Kenneth Culver culverk at sweetdreamsracing.biz
Mon Nov 29 13:25:30 PST 2004

Quoting Kirk Strauser <kirk at strauser.com>:

> On my 5.3 system (recompiled completely, including ports, one week ago), the
> NVidia driver (for a GeForce MX 400) from ports doesn't seem to be using AGP:
>
>     $ sysctl hw.nvidia.agp.status.status
>     hw.nvidia.agp.status.status: disabled
>
> I've built a new kernel with "device agp" commented out, and kldstat verifies
> that it's not loaded.  I set 'Option "NvAGP" "1"' in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
> I've read all of the READMEs that seemed relevant.  Still, I seem to be
> running in PCI mode and display updates are painfully slow and CPU-intensive.
>
> I'm running out of things to check.  Any idea what combination of settings
> would result in a system where the display seems to run correctly, but is
> much slower than expected?
> --
> Kirk Strauser

I'm actually having this same problem on 2 different computers... with
nVidia's
AGP or FreeBSD's AGP... it doesn't matter which I try to use.

One of the computers I'm having this problem with is a P4 with an Intel
chipset
(I forget which) with a GeForce4 MX 440. The other is an athlon 64
3200+ with a
via k8t800 chipset and a geforce FX 5900 (running in 32 bit x86 FreeBSD).

I can't get either of these to run with AGP.

Ken