JDK Issues

Dick Davies rasputnik at hellooperator.net
Mon Nov 29 09:19:25 PST 2004

* Lars Eighner <eighner at io.com> [1111 16:11]:
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Dick Davies wrote:
>
> >* Lars Eighner <eighner at io.com> [1126 22:26]:
> >
> >>Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Can't detect initial thread stack
> >>location
> >>                                       ^
> >
> >Mount linprocfs. (Incidentally, you could have just googled this.
> >'If you can't figure this out for yourself.....' :) )
> >

> Still did not work according to the recommended googled solution,
> which was *not* to make clean, load and mount linuxprocfs, and
> restart.   That resulted in a breakdown somewhere in building
> Hotspot.

Sorry, the post I saw mentioned a make clean.

> It does work if you make clean, but then of course
> unless you have a really fast-ass machine, you've got a hell of
> a lot of make to do over.
>
> Pity there is no way a port could test for linuxprocfs and warn
> you before you got started.

That's the trouble - the linux jdk14 *does* tell you you need to build linprocfs:

rasputnik at eris:linux-sun-jdk14$ cat /usr/ports/java/linux-sun-jdk14/pkg-message
Warning: This JDK may be unstable. You are advised to use the native
FreeBSD JDK, in ports/java/jdk14.

This Java VM will attempt to obtain some system information by
accessing files in linux's procfs.  You must install the Linux
emulation procfs filesystem for this to work correctly.  The JVM
will exhibit various problems otherwise.  This can be accomplished
by adding the following line to your /etc/fstab file:

 linprocfs   /compat/linux/proc   linprocfs   rw   0  0

and then, as root, executing the commands:

kldload linprocfs
mount /compat/linux/proc

but of course this is only helpful if you are building ports one at a time
(otherwise you don't see the messages from the dependencies you are installing).

That's a general problem IMO with all the BSD pkgsrc/ports tree implementations
BTW, and should be fixed - maybe by buffering all the dependant pkg-messages generated
and echoing them one after the other when the final build finishes?
(trouble is I don't think ports/pkgsrc is aware of whether it just built a dependency,
or whether you've had it installed for two years).

In this case I think an argument could be made for the native jdk port to check for
linprocfs, as you say. Have you contacted the port maintainer (try java at freebsd.org if
you get no joy elsewhere, they're a good bunch)?

--
Robots don't have emotions, and that sometimes makes me feel sad. - Bender