Custom Kernel

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Sat Nov 27 22:58:03 PST 2004

On Saturday 27 November 2004 10:29 pm, Rem Roberti <remegius at comcast.net>
wrote:
>    Hi Everyone,
>    As a rank newbie I have been trying to install a custom kernel, and
>    have attempted to follow the directions in the handbook.  But I just
>    can't get the thing to "make".  The handbook also says that it is okay
>    to send the configuration file to this list for analysis.
>    Nevertheless I thought that it would be a good idea to ask first.   I
>    would appreciate it if someone would let me know how I should handle
>    this.

From the command line, paste in the output of:

uname -a

Also, your /etc/make.conf would help, and, as mentioned so would your kernel
config file. It's also not clear what you mean by "can't get the thing to
make." Does it fail when you build, or when you install? I'm guessing you
mean that the build itself failed. If you logged your build, send the
relevant part as well, i.e., the part with the errors and some lines before
it for context. If not, for future reference, consider logging your build
(man script, or use make ... > /var/log/kernelbuild.out or something
similar).

- jt