Raq_Apache_dot_htaccess

Adrian Portsmouth service at htaccessmanager.com
Sat Nov 27 06:46:39 PST 2004

Dear List,

I am experiencing a problem with my web site and I am not 100% sure whether
it is Apache or FreeBSD related.

I asked a forum to comment on my web site and one of the users there
reported that his Norton Firewall (Using Firefox 1.0) blocked access to my
web site stating "Raq_Apache_dot_htaccess" which was claiming that I was
attempting to intrude in his computer. Of course I am not doing any such
thing so I began to investigate.

When searching for information about this threat it became clear that the
original problem was related directly to Cobalt RAQ servers, as I am running
FreeBSD 4.7 I was a bit confused. I delved further into the RAQ problem and
it pointed out some code which should be in the httpd.conf file, so I have
checked and ensured that this code was in place:

<Files ~ "^\.ht">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
    Satisfy All
</Files>

I have restarted Apache and checked that the .htaccess file can no longer
been seen from the browser, I then asked the guy to retest and he is still
getting the same problem.

So I had no choice but to go out and buy a copy of Norton, I installed it,
made sure the software was fully up to date. I then rebooted the machine and
called the web site up in a variety of browsers and I cannot get the same
problem!

I know that the person who reported this is not messing about as he has sent
me screenshots of the pop-up by Norton so I am basically stumped now.

Has anyone else on FreeBSD had this issue and found a fix? The web site is
in the signature if anyone on the list has Norton Firewall and can see if
they can replicate the problem.

My machine is FreeBSD 4.7 running PHP 4.3.9 on Apache 1.3 I have root access
to the machine but cannot upgrade BSD, only install ports etc. The only time
I use .htaccess on the web site is for Mod Rewrite which is not doing
anything special.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Adrian Portsmouth
.htaccess Manager - SilkPHP
[e] service at htaccessmanager.com
[w] www.htaccessmanager.com

This email, its contents and attachments are confidential and may be covered
by legal privilege.  This email contains information intended only for the
person(s) and/or entity named above. The views and opinions expressed are
those of the sender and not necessarily those of SilkPHP or its affiliates.
Any other distribution, copying, review, use or disclosure is strictly
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this
message and any attachments without making a copy and advise the sender by
return email - thank you.

This mail and any attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving
the SilkPHP network. SilkPHP will not be liable for direct, special,
indirect or consequential damages arising from alteration of the contents of
this message by a third party or as a result of any virus being passed on.