Problems with samba under FreeBSD, not under Linux

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Fri Nov 26 00:52:26 PST 2004

Hexren wrote:
> V> Dear All,
> V> From the win 2000 box I can see my freebsd box fqdn but can't connect
> V> any share. Win 2000 keeps <compalining "You have no authorization to
> V> connect to the share, ask the Administrator" (sorry, translating from
> V> Italian)
>
> V> PLEASE HELP!!!!
>
> V> Ciao
> V> Vittorio

> Are all the nessecary user created ? (meaning on the BSD box is a
> samba user and a system user with the same name as your Windows 2000
> login account ?)

I don't think this matters. Credentials, username and password, are
being passed explicitly to the Windows (R)(Tm)(c) machine when smbclient
and mount_smbfs are invoked.

>>[homes]
>>  comment = Home Directories
>>  browseable = no
>>  writable = yes
>

> I miss a path directive in your home dir configuration. Asfar as I
> understand somethin like:
>
> [Kopfkissen]
>         path = /mnt/hdd1
>
> Is the minimum share definition.

No: [homes] is a special case - it maps home directories to users. No
path here. Check the default smb.conf for reference.

So far as the OP is concerned, is anything showing up in the pathetic
excuse for logging that ships with Windows? Event Log entries might show
why the connection is being refused.

Peter.

--

the circle squared