Problems with samba under FreeBSD, not under Linux

Vittorio v.demartino2 at virgilio.it
Thu Nov 25 23:45:41 PST 2004

Dear All,

(Context: Office windows LAN; PC Pentium 3 with 128 MB, FreeBSD 5.3.)

Here you are the unanswered message I had sent to the FreeBSD mailing
list:

\BEGIN{MESSAGE}
--------------- After installing and launching samba 3.0.7 daemons
 under my postgresql FBSD5.3
stable server at office, I'm having trouble in connecting to whatever
windows
share in the M$ LAN.

Here you are what's going on:
1) I can ping to my windows server srvs1.myco;

2) If I issue
    smbclient -L srvs1.myco -U myuserid
    pasword:****
Domain=[BOH_SS] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

 Sharename       Type      Comment
 ---------       ----      -------
 Data            Disk
 ADMIN$          Disk      Remote Admin
 H$              Disk      Default share
Domain=[BOH_SS] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

 Server               Comment
 ---------            -------

 Workgroup            Master My very short smb.conf

 ---------            -------

 3) If I issue
    smbclient  //srvs1.myco/Data -U myuserid
    pasword:****
Domain=[BOH_SS] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
smb: \> dir
  .                                  DA        0  Tue Nov 23 09:13:08
2004
  ..                                 DA        0  Tue Nov 23 09:13:08
2004
  Scambio                            DA        0  Tue Nov 23 09:13:09
2004
  Utenti                             My very short smb.conf

DA        0  Tue Nov 23 09:13:09
2004

 BUT if I issue

mount_smbfs -I srvs1.myco //myuserid at srvs1.myco/Data /mnt/smb
password:*****
mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Connection reset by
peer

This error pops up.

Could you please help me, a poor samba newbie,  straight things up?

Thanks in advance

Vittorio
------------------ \END{MESSAGE}

Now, I can add that I had a go with Samba 3.08 under a linux gentoo
slice on the same box, replicating all the commands I had given under
FreBSD (with the exception of smbmount under gentoo & mount_smbfs under
freebsd, somewhat different synthax, too) and - under linux - it works
perfectly well.

My very short smb.conf (both under linux and FreeBSD)

[global]

   workgroup = BOH_SS
   server string = Samba
   load printers = no
   log file = /var/log/samba3/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   security = user
  encrypt passwords = yes

  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd
   domain master = no
==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

From the win 2000 box I can see my freebsd box fqdn but can't connect
any share. Win 2000 keeps <compalining "You have no authorization to
connect to the share, ask the Administrator" (sorry, translating from
Italian)

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Ciao
Vittorio