kernel compile error

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 25 23:03:56 PST 2004

Matt Emmerton wrote:

>>/usr/src/sys/dev/usb/if_rue.c:104:23: miibus_if.h: No such file or
>
> directory
>
>>/usr/src/sys/pci/if_rl.c:122:23: miibus_if.h: No such file or directory
>>mkdep: compile failed
>

> You need "device miibus" in your kernel config if you want to use "device
> rl".

I always wonder why there has not yet been constructed a mechanism that
automatically pulls in devices that are needed to prevent compile failure.

It wouldn't be too difficult, I assume, to have "device miibus" pulled
in, when needed for certain devices.

Or is there a good reason to allow people to compile, for example
"device rl", without the miibus device?

Having such a mechanism, would prevent lots of beginners in the
kernel compiling stuff, to get frustrated with errors like above.

Rob.