what is the bsd fs called outside the bsd sphere?

Richard Williamson richard.williamson at u4eatech.com
Thu Nov 25 03:14:30 PST 2004

Hello all,

I have a 32Mb CF card, formatted with the native BSD fs type (ie, it
isn't fat16 or fat32).  I've dd'd a raw image off the card.
Using FreeBSD, I can clone the flash card using for example
dd if=./sandisk.32.img of=/dev/rad8

I would like to be able to flash a card using a different
system (MacOS X or Linux).  Getting sandisk.32.img to the
other machine is not a problem.  I'm assuming that the
dd is not going to be a problem either.  The question I
have is about mounting the flash card on the other system

What would the BSD filesystem be called?

>From the linux man page for mount:
   The  argument  following the -t is used to indicate
   the file system type.  The file system types  which
   are  currently  supported  are: adfs, affs, autofs,
   coda, coherent, cramfs,  devpts,  efs,  ext,  ext2,
   ext3, hfs, hpfs, iso9660, jfs, minix, msdos, ncpfs,
   nfs, ntfs,  proc,  qnx4,  reiserfs,  romfs,  smbfs,
   sysv,  tmpfs,  udf,  ufs, umsdos, vfat, xenix, xfs,
   xiafs.

>From the MacOS X /sbin/mount_*, I see afp, cd9660, cddafs,
   devfs, fdesc, ftp, hfs, msdos, nfs, ntfs, smbfs, synthfs,
   udf, volfs, webdav

I've tried to mount it using ufs (the default for MacOS
/bin/mount) and been given 'invalid super block'.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Richard