5.3 on Intel 386 ?

Nikolas Britton freebsd at nbritton.org
Thu Nov 25 01:31:27 PST 2004

Rob wrote:

> Scott Long wrote:
>
>> Rob wrote:

>>> So?
>>> The hardware requirements state "FreeBSD can run on 386 processors...".
>>

>> The GENERIC kernel that is shipped with FreeBSD will not boot on an
>> 80386 processor, period.
>>
>>> Can I induce an FPU into my system by customizing my kernel?
>>

>> You'll need an FPU and a custom kernel that is compiled with the
>> CPU_I386 option.
>

> I'm not an expert here, but I found this:
>
>    80386SX = 386 w/o FPU
>    80386DX = 386 w/ FPU
>
> Should instead, the "Hardware Requirements" for 5.3 then mention
> this:
>
>   ...(although FreeBSD can run on 80386DX processors...
>
> to be more precise, to avoid confusion/frustration for 80386SX
> owners?

LMAO, I have a handful of i80386DX, 386SX/387s, even a few 286's +
mainboards and a crap load of 30pin and 72pin SIMMs if someone want to
"upgrade", if you can't find an old Pentium I / 486DX4 systems in the
garbage there's something wrong with you.

But seriously... There's still very good uses for these old timers in
embedded control systems, routers and such... I WISH the mainboard
manufacturers would make new mini-ITX, FlexATX, and MicroATX format
mainboards and chipsets for these old guys, yes really!!!