Why does qmake port still needs qt source when I already have qt installed?

Mark Jayson Alvarez jay2xra at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 23:19:24 PST 2004

Good day!
  Upon learning the instruction on
http://www.linuxgazette.com/node/view/9553 on creating
a simple qt hello world program, I fired up my konsole
and issued "qmake" in the directory of "myfirstqt.pro"
I received this error message:

QMAKESPEC has not been set, so configuration cannot be
deduced.
Error processing project file:
/home/matato/files/documents/qt/progs/myfirstqt.pro

Do you know what this error is all about?

The instruction in that site tells that "All these
steps are tested on a Fedora Core 2 machine with Qt
3.3.2 and KDE 3.2" so I'm just wondring if it has
something to do with doing it in FreeBSD 5.3.

My qmake version is 3.3.3 and qt 3.3.3 and kde 3.3.1

And one last thing. When I found out that I haven't
installed qmake, I cd to /usr/ports/devel/qmake and
make install it without any args. But to my surprise,
it is downloading the source of
qt(qt-x11-free-3.3.3.tar.bz2) when I know that qt is
already included in my kde installation.

I "pkg_info |grep qt" to make sure.
qt-3.3.3_1          Multiplatform C++ application
framework
...but why??

Thanks for any input. A good qt programming link is
also welcome=)