How best to recover from untimely portupgrade interruption?

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Tue Nov 23 21:55:58 PST 2004

I'm afraid I missed the note in /usr/ports/UPDATING about portupgrade
building INDEX, so when a simple upgrade stalled for three hours (p166
here) without doing anything obvious, I'm afraid I typed ^C.
Portupgrade was rebuilding the database, and the ^C made it move on to
the index, which I again stopped with ^C now knowing I'd actually
interrupted something other than an infinite loop.

Now if I rerun portupgrade, it restarts the index build but warns me
about an incomplete dependency list.  I assume this is because I shot
down the database builder.  That part of the process doesn't seem to
want to rerun though...

So my question is, what is the best recommended way to get everything
back in order?  I assume I need to do something to make the database
rebuild restart, but I'm not sure what that is.  Portupgrade's process
isn't interactive like my pkgdb runs, and I didn't snag a ps list at
the time, so I'm not sure what it was doing.

Again, my apologies for missing the /usr/ports/UPDATING alert about
this...

Please Cc replies to me.

--
Doug Lee           dgl at dlee.org        http://www.dlee.org