CVSup questions

stheg olloydson stheg_olloydson at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 23 20:52:56 PST 2004

See http://www.cvsup.org/faq.html

>2. I am running 5.3 RELEASE. It appears that if I specify "*default
>tag=." that I will be getting updates from "current". Is this what I
>should do, given that I want to stay current on security and bug
>fixes, but I don't (at this time) intend to get involved with beta
>testing?  Or should I specify *default tag=RELENG_5_3? And, if I do
>that, will the ports be updated, including adding new ports?

The current "current" is 6.0, not 5.3, so when updating src use
tag=RELENG_5_3. *See #11 on the FAQ above for an important exception to
this.

>3. The tutorial at http://www.us-webmasters.com/FreeBSD/Install/
>after item 68 describes CVSup. It suggests using the supfile
>/usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile which gets the "ports-all"
>collection. However, the Using CVSup manual says to get "src-all",
>that includes ports-all. Is there some reason to use ports-all, not
>src-all as suggested by the handbook?

You can use one or two sup files. If you use one for both, you need two
different tag= declarations, one for src (tag=RELENG_5_3) and one for
everything else (tag=.). Ports, docs, etc. don't have RELENG versions,
so if you try to use tag=RELENG_5_3, you will wipe out your ports, doc,
etc., trees.

>4. The tutorial (see 3 above) item 97 concludes, after running cvsup,
>"FreeBSD is installed, CONGRATULATIONS!" Isn't this a bit premature?
>It seems to me that at that point I need to rebuild world per
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/book.html#MAKEWORLD
>to apply the new files and bring the system up to date. Am I missing
>something?

I don't think "premature" is the right word. Clearly, FBSD is installed
_already_. You are updating it. But, at this point, you aren't
finished.  You need to do the world/kernel/portupgrade stuff. Then it's
CONGRATULATIONS!, assuming something doesn't blow up during any of the
various procedures.
As an extra word of advice, you may want to run the "script" command at
each step to record the vast amount of messages that fly by. If
anything goes wrong, you'll have a complete log; and if nothing goes
wrong, you can grep thru them to see the many config options you didn't
know about and the wonderful, worrisome warning messages that you won't
be sure you can safely ignore or not!

HTH

Stheg