make -j$n buildworld : use of -j investigated

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Tue Nov 23 19:02:07 PST 2004

At 10:41 AM +0900 11/24/04, Rob wrote:
>Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>>
>>Also, did you do your benchmarking before or after the recent
>>fixes to -j processing?  I haven't redone them after that change,
>>and I think it will be interesting to see what effect that has.
>
>These tests were done on 5.3-Stable as of Nov. 22nd.
>
>I believe these -j changes were applied to 6-Current. Or am I wrong?

You are correct.  My mistake, I overlooked what you said about
this being on 5.3-stable.  I am too focused on 6.x-current due
to a few system builds that I've been doing.

Still, I do think it will be interesting to see how the recent -j
changes will effect the benchmarking.  The way it worked before,
you often getting "more -j than you asked for", and I think that
would have to be significant.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu