4 part domain names

Hexren me at hexren.net
Tue Nov 23 17:29:30 PST 2004

JM> On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 12:48:49AM +0100, Hexren wrote:
JM> : Now add to that picture that every subdomain could be an alias for another
JM> : domain or point to an IP address, which incase of the IP address is
JM> : meaning a real machine.

JM> So that means that the right-most portion of the subdomain would be either
JM> the aliased domain of another machine or an IP address, right?  So does that
JM> mean us.510.mail.yahoo.com could be us.510.some_secret_domain.xxx??  Or that
JM> it could be a new domain within a private network?  Or either?

Every unique combination of subdomain.domain.tld could point to an
arbitray other URL or IP.
For example
us.510.mail.example.com = example.com
de.510.mail.example.com = europe.mail.example.com
us.487.mail.example.com = 10.0.0.1
us.512.mail.example.com = 192.168.0.1
mail.yahoo.com          = nowhere (teher is no entry in the dns for
that URL)

The point I am trying to make ist that dns only defines a structure
for data.
The fact that the data stored in that structure tends to be orderly in
some sort is the result of that order making administering and using
the stored data easier (techs are lazy people after all). But
something like zdfdfjkb.12462323df.example.com would be valid even
though it would contradict the point of using dns to take the burden
of remembering complex data (IPs) from people.

Hexren