login screen on 5.3

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Tue Nov 23 15:22:57 PST 2004

glen disley wrote:

> I just installed Freebsd5.3. After a long compile process and a
> few tweeks of Xorg I was able to get a kdm screen prompt.
> There are only 2 users on the system, one bing root and the
> other me (Glen). What I don't understand is why on the kdm
> login screen I see Charlie&root as administrators and Glen
> as a user. I'm semi familiar with Linux and my root login is
> only root no other names. No one else has access to the
> computer other then me and I set it up behind a SMC router
> with a built in firewall

Your system, most likely, is just fine.

For some reason(s), probably historical and perhaps
hysterical, the full name for the root account is, as
you can see:

grep Charlie /etc/passwd
root:*:0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/csh

"Charlie &" ... unless you gave him another name
by editing the password file.

I've already done a historical posting today, so
if it's OK, we'll let someone else tell us why it's
that way ... or you can look yourself, or we can
just let it slide.  But, in FreeBSD, root's full name
is "Charlie Root" --- you'll notice it in your nightly
emails as well.

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.