SCSI Hard drive "MEDIUM ERROR"

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Tue Nov 23 07:55:48 PST 2004

In the last episode (Nov 23), Nikolas Britton said:
> Ryan J. Cavicchioni wrote:
> >This is what produced the output:
> >
> >"camcontrol modepage da1 -m 1 -e -P 3"
> >
> > I ended up using the utility on my SCSI controller to remap the bad
> > blocks. For the moment it is working fine.
>
> I'd start looking for a replacement drive if I where you.

That's not strictly necessary if it's just one bad block.  SCSI drives
have a lot of spare sectors for bad-block remapping.  You can use the
"camcontrol defects" command to list the blocks that were marked as bad
during the manufacturing process, plus the ones the drive has marked
bad itself during normal use.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com