openssl 0.9.7e

J.D. Bronson jbronson at wixb.com
Mon Nov 22 10:58:49 PST 2004

At 12:52 PM 11/22/2004, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> > If I can find out who maintains this port then maybe they could explain?
> > I mean how hard can this be (even to document within the Makefile) ?
>
>OK.  You're on a recent 5.x system that has dynamically linked
>software in the root partition -- on older FreeBSD versions, stuff in
>/bin would generally be statically linked.
>
>The port is very helpfully stopping you shooting yourself in the foot
>by scribbling all over /lib/libcrypto.so which presumably is now a
>critical file required so that the system will boot.
>
>It's also probably pointless replacing the base version of the OpenSSL
>shlibs with the ports version, because they are probably pretty much
>exactly the same code.
>
>         Cheers,
>
>         Matthew

thanks for helping me out.
I wanted to update the base version as this is a NEWER version that
contains bug fixes and maybe some security fixes <?> - But I am not sure.

so far now, I will either install the port as it is and link against the
NEW files for what I need to build - or just give up.

--
J.D. Bronson
Aurora Health Care // Information Services // Milwaukee, WI USA