annoying dhclient error messages

Christopher Illies christopher.illies at molmed.ki.se
Mon Nov 22 05:11:29 PST 2004

I recently installed FreeBSD 5.3 on my desktop at work. DHCP was
configured with sysinstall (/etc/rc.conf: ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"), and
/etc/dhclient.conf is empty. In fact I do have a good network
connection. The problem is that I get the following annoying error
messages about every two to five minutes:

Nov 13 13:43:59 Klabautermann dhclient: slp-directory-agent: 4 extra
bytes at end of array
Nov 13 13:43:59 Klabautermann last message repeated 2 times
Nov 13 13:43:59 Klabautermann dhclient: parse_option_param: Bad format
Nov 13 13:46:26 Klabautermann dhclient: slp-directory-agent: 4 extra
bytes at end of array
Nov 13 13:46:26 Klabautermann last message repeated 2 times
Nov 13 13:46:26 Klabautermann dhclient: parse_option_param: Bad format

These messages are more a nuisance than anything else, still I would
like to get rid of them. I updated the system last week (tag=RELENG_5),
but that did not help. Interestingly, I do not see these messages when
running Debian GNU/Linux on the very same computer. Google did not
reveal anything helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers,

Chris