Which Sata-controller card?

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Mon Nov 22 00:59:46 PST 2004

At 9:33 AM +0100 11/22/04, Stephan Fiebrandt wrote:

>If you just need to expand your Mainboard with a SATA Controller,
>all you need is a poor card with a Silicon chip on it (Sil 3112 etc).
>I've seen cards starting at 10$. Almost all low-cost cards have this
>chip series, meanwhile on 5.3 it should work now without any problems.
>The WRITE_DMA issues should be solved and commited to 5.3.

Unless something happened in the past week or so, you can still have
WRITE_DMA problems with the SiL 3112 if you connect a "fake SATA"
drive to it, such as some of the Western Digital drives.  These are
really ATA drives with a little conversion-chip on them to implement
SATA.  These drives seem to work okay on more expensive SATA
controllers, but I had a *lot* of headaches with one connected to a
SiL-3112 controller.  I suspect that the same people who are willing
to live with a $10 disk controller are also going to be tempted to
buy the less-expensive "fake-SATA" hard drives...

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu