Most Suitable version of FBSD for server?

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Sun Nov 21 18:22:45 PST 2004

Eric Kjeldergaard wrote:
>>Which version of FBSD is currently most appropriate for use as
>>a server (mail, NFS, samba)?  4.9?  4.10?  5.somethingorother?
>

> Obviously you'll want something current so 4.9 is out of the question.
>  That kind of leaves the 2 distinct branches.  These are the 4.x and
> 5.x and are currently represented by 5.3 and 4.10.  Which you want is
> rather for you to decide.  I recommend trying both.  It seems like a
> lot of work, but is probably best.  Many say that for SMP, 5.3 has
> advantages although there have been threads in the lists that argue
> both ways.  I would recommend trying with 4.10 for a while and 5.3 for
> a while and load-testing each to see which performs better and which
> best fits your needs.

While I agree (in part) I think the user ought to move to 5.x - 4.x is
legacy, and no telling how much longer it will be until there is little
to no support or development for it.

--
Best regards,
Chris

To change an environment variable in tcsh you use: setenv NAME "value"
where NAME is the name of the variable and "value" its new value.