Most Suitable version of FBSD for server?

Eric Kjeldergaard kjelderg at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 18:06:41 PST 2004

> Which version of FBSD is currently most appropriate for use as
> a server (mail, NFS, samba)?  4.9?  4.10?  5.somethingorother?

Obviously you'll want something current so 4.9 is out of the question.
 That kind of leaves the 2 distinct branches.  These are the 4.x and
5.x and are currently represented by 5.3 and 4.10.  Which you want is
rather for you to decide.  I recommend trying both.  It seems like a
lot of work, but is probably best.  Many say that for SMP, 5.3 has
advantages although there have been threads in the lists that argue
both ways.  I would recommend trying with 4.10 for a while and 5.3 for
a while and load-testing each to see which performs better and which
best fits your needs.

--
If I write a signature, my emails will appear more personalised.