turning off IPv6 support in BSD

Chris Hill chris at monochrome.org
Sun Nov 21 13:18:57 PST 2004

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, Michael W. Oliver wrote:

>>>  Not on my system (RELENG_5_3)...
>>>
>>>  # cat /etc/defaults/rc.conf | grep ipv6_enable
>>>  ipv6_enable="NO"                # Set to YES to set up for IPv6.
>>
>> 	Affirmed for -CURRENT.
>
> Yeah, you guys are right... as far as I can tell, it's always been set
> to "NO" in /etc/defaults/rc.conf.  Sorry 'bout that.

Not only that, but it appears not to matter. I'm running 4.10 on this
machine (same as the OP), with ipv6_enable="NO" in /etc/defaults/rc.conf
and nothing to override it in /etc/rc.conf. Yet the machine booted with
IPv6 enabled. Only when I disabled IPv6 in the kernel did v6 stop trying
to happen. This also had the effect of speeding up name resolution by
Mozilla and friends, which IIRC was the OP's issue in the first place.

Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]