reading a dos cdrom with .pdf files.

Ash omniBSD at speakeasy.net
Fri Nov 19 17:50:23 PST 2004

Gary Kline wrote:
> 	People,
>
> 	I have several CDROMS all of which seem to be DOS type.

Data CDs are generally IS0-9660 with various extensions.

> 	At first I tried the disc in my CD player.  Nope; then
> 	in one of my 5.3 machines using mount_msdosfs.  (probably
> 	with the wrong flags, I admit.) As a last resort  I put the

Wrong flags, unless the CD-ROM has a FAT/FAT32 file system (possible but
unlikely).

> 	disc in my RH-8 platform intended to reboot into W2K. But
> 	a cup of coffee later I find that Red Hat had already popped
> 	up a window with the title of the disc and that it is a
> 	1.1MB pdf file.  I doubt this CDROM is a an ISO-9660
> 	(or whatever).   But it's nice that  RH knew automagically
> 	what to do with it and to pop up  the pdf reader.

Why do you doubt it's ISO-9660?

> 	I know there is the genius in FBSD-land to do this; probably
> 	just enough not people.  My question is: what are the FBSD

FreeBSD is geared to be a great server operating. The feature you want
(auto mounting device) isn't necessarily desirable on a server. While it
is possible to configure, it is not something that is available
immediately "out of the box".

I'm not saying that FreeBSD doesn't make a great desktop. IMO FreeBSD
makes a wonderful desktop, provided you take the time to read the docs
and configure it properly.

> 	commands to let me mount this disc and let me read the
> 	files to be able to point acroread at them?

This is clearly explained in the man pages as well as the handbook
(Section 16.6.7 "Using Data CDs").

Assuming that you have a /cdrom directory, are using an IDE CD-ROM drive
and do not have atapicam(4) configured the following command should work
for you:

	#mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /cdrom

If I'm not mistaken, upon install, a /cdrom directory is created when an
optical drive is detected (if you have multiple optical drives you also
get /cdrom1, /cdrom2, /cdrom3 ....) and /etc/fstab is configured
appropriately to allow you to type the following to mount your first
optical drive on /cdrom:

	#mount /cdrom

If you are using SCSI/USB/Firewire drives or IDE with atapicam(4):

	#mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0 /cdrom

> 	tia,
>
> 	gary

-Ash