ssh slowness

Alfredo Finelli alfredofnl at tiscali.it
Fri Nov 19 15:34:40 PST 2004

   -- On Friday 19 November 2004 23:37, you wrote:
   > Greetings All,
   >
   > I am running FreeBSD 4.10 stable. I connect to the internet via
   > dialup so I have an entries in my /etc/hosts for all my local
   > machines and I have an entry in my /etc/resolv.conf for my isp's
   > dns server. when I am not connected to my isp and I try to ssh to
   > a local machine from a local mahine it takes a "long" time to
   > connect. I susspect the reason is because it is trying to hit the
   > dns server first from my isp. From what I understand it should hit
   > the hosts file first according to the following setup. Can anyone
   > exlain how I can fix my problem? or explain why my current
   > configuration is incorrect?
   >
   > /etc/host.conf
   >
   > # First try the /etc/hosts file
   > hosts
   > # Now try the nameserver next.
   > bind

In your "host.conf" file you should be using the keyword "order" to
specify how host lookups are to be performed by the resolver.  It
should be followed by one or more lookup methods, separated by commas.
Valid methods are "bind", "hosts" and "nis".

For example the line in /etc/host.conf could be:

   order hosts,bind

Regards,

Alfredo