Call for help: -lkse (libkse trouble)

klr at 6s-gaming.com klr at 6s-gaming.com
Fri Nov 19 14:11:50 PST 2004

Hey list,

I just got back from a friend's house, after having his workstation at my
home compiling KDE for 3 long days and introducing him to open source
software.. Everything was working great, except for one small detail: I
have cable and a LAN at home, so all I really needed to do was dhclient
rl0 to have my FreeBSD DHCP/firewall/gateway assign an IP, and I had
internet connectivity. He has ADSL, and a speedtouch USB 330 modem.

The install at my home had some extra steps to get FreeBSD (5.3) running:

- I didn't have a FreeBSD 5.3 CD; However, I had an ISO (5.3-RELEASE) on
another pc @ my lan, which I mdconfig'ed and NFS exported.

- I booted off a 5.2.1-RELEASE cd and installed 5.3 over NFS. This caused
some errors such as crypto distribution couldn't be installed, the menus
showed XFree86 instead of Xorg, etc.

- After this, I downloaded RELENG_5 sources and rebuilt the world, to make
it a complete 5.3-RELEASE installation.

So I did a minimal FreeBSD install in order to try to keep things
consistent. I then pkg_add'ed xorg, and built KDE from source.

The system was working great. I didn't touch the ST330 drivers for a long
time now, and the last time I had tried, when I killed pppoa3 or modem_run
I'd get a panic.

Today, I went to his home to configure the internet connection. I
installed the pppoa port, and couldn't get a connection (0 bytes in/out, 0
packets in/out @ ppp.log) -- I vaguely remembered the driver would only
work with KSE threading..

After a bit of googling (I also installed WinXP on his box, because I
anticipated I couldn't have internet access @ his home at the first try.),
got to the site that saved me the last time:
http://www.mail-archive.com/speedtouch@ml.free.fr/msg04553.html

I did a cd /usr/src/lib/libpthread && make all install -- This should have
installed libkse too. When I changed THREAD_LIBS=-lkse (from -pthread), I
got an error from ld while compiling the driver.. Was something like:
/usr/bin/ld: Cannot find -lkse (error code 1 , blah blah)..

Well, I was sure this particular driver would only work with KSE
threading. I tried reinstalling libpthread once again, to no avail.. So, I
ssh'ed to my FreeBSD home gateway (a 5.3-BETA3), and libkse.so and
relatives were correctly installed in /usr/lib.

My first attempt was to statically link pppoa3 on my home gateway, then
upload it to my friend's workstation and save it to a floppy to get it on
FreeBSD - Didn't work (maybe because I only used pppoa3 kse version,
didn't copy modem_run.. don't know.); My next move was to copy all libkse.
(.a,.so,_p.a) and the pppoa3 (now not statically linked) to his
workstation, get it on a floppy, and reboot to FreeBSD.

It worked! Finally, he had internet access thru his ADSL w/ SpeedTouch
330. But it didn't end here :-)

As soon as I do a killall pppoa3 or killall modem_run , the system will
completely hang (numlock won't answer, can't ctrl alt f2 on X, nothing) -
Only a power cycle will solve this, at the cost of completely erasing the
last file I worked on - I lost ppp.conf and adsl-init (a custom script I
wrote to launch ADSL).

Well, it makes sense, I was asking for trouble when I manually added
libkse to his system. But at least now, I'm 100% sure the problem was with
the driver not being linked with KSE.

My question is: If I did a buildworld/installworld (while skipping
mergemaster that time, perhaps it has to do with this.. but I can't see
how!), libkse should be there! I even have it on MY workstation which is a
5.2.1-RELEASE. My gateway which is a 5.3-BETA3 has it too. But his
workstation doesn't. I left his home in the middle of a
buildworld/kernel/installkernel/installworld/mergemaster stuff, in the
hope this will place libkse in place.

I don't know if it will happen, and I actually doubt it. So I'm asking if
someone knows how to properly add libkse to the system from source, is it
an option on make.conf ? Something I missed ?

Any relevant info would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Hugo