FreeBSD, Intel Motherboards and Portmaster Serial Console - How?

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Fri Nov 19 13:03:37 PST 2004

I just picked up a PM25 for our colo facility, so that I can do remote
admin on the FreeBSD boxes ... our two Tyan servers are a piece of cake,
as they have DB9 Serial, like I'd expect ... but the Intel motherboards
have "External RJ45 serial, internal serial header" on all of there
boards, from what I can tell ... but what I can't figure out is how to
make use of them ...

The servers are remote, so adding a 9pin serial port onto the 'internal
header' is a bit difficult, so am wondering about using the 'external
RJ45'.  The PM25 cables end in an RJ45 jack, and we had to purchase
adapters to go from RJ45->9pin ... can those RJ45 adapters be used to plug
into the RJ45 serial directly?

Also, from what I've been able to read so far, the RJ45 == Serial B, not
Serial A ... so, I'd need to change how FreeBSD works as far as serial
console is concerned, to look at Serial B, no?

Help?

Thanks ...

----