CANNOT SSH to my computer

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Fri Nov 19 01:20:21 PST 2004

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 07:43:50PM -0500, Ivan Georgiev wrote:
> On Thursday 18 November 2004 07:08 pm, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> > Ivan Georgiev <georgiev at vt.edu> writes:

> > > As I said - rejects with Permission denied and a message the log:
> > > sshd[25413]: Failed password for ivan from MY_OFFICE_COMPUTER_ADDRESS
> > > port 44517 ssh2
> >
> > Try "ssh -v" (and if that doesn't tell you enough, "ssh -vv") and look
> > at the debug output when it asks for and rejects the password.  If that
> > doesn't give you more of a clue, try doing the equivalent with sshd.

I'm curious, could this be a pam configuration problem?  What version of
FreeBSD did you say you were using?  5.x and newer I believe rely on pam
which is configured in /etc/pam.d/.  There should be one file per
service in there, for example, sshd configures the authentication for
the ssh daemon.  Look through that and see if it could be
mis-configured.