resolv.conf - hosts

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
Thu Nov 18 17:00:04 PST 2004

On 11/18/04 02:23 PM, Bill Schoolcraft sat at the `puter and typed:
> At Thu, 18 Nov 2004 it looks like Brian Henning composed:
>
> > I am running FBSD 4.10, does the /etc/nsswitch.conf file work on
> > freebsd 4.10 or is it just for 5.X?
>
> That's a good question for I don't see it on my 4.10, but it's a
> very old, or very "inherent" file in all the Unix based systems
> I've seen.  It comes from Solaris operating systems by origin.

According to /usr/src/UPDATING it was imported from NetBSD in
September of 2000:

20000906:
        nsswitch has been imported from NetBSD.  Among other things,
        this means that /etc/host.conf is no longer used.  See
        nsswitch.conf(5) instead.  Note that at boot time rc.network
        will attempt to produce a new nsswitch.conf file for you if
        you don't have one, and you have host.conf.

Why it never showed up in 4.10 I couldn't say, but
I have two 4.10 boxes with nary a hint of nsswitch.conf except in the
linux compat directories.  Only my 5.3 box has it in /etc/.

Lou
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

Performance:
  A statement of the speed at which a computer system works.  Or
  rather, might work under certain circumstances.  Or was rumored
  to be working over in Jersey about a month ago.